Wednesday 20 November 2013

Favourite movies of all-time revisited

In June last year I named my top 10 favourite movies of all-time list, a bold list that created some good debate. The issue with producing such a list is that it will change based on your mood at the time of writing and will constantly be in flux, or in my case you'd forgotten some key movies you loved like The Shining and Metropolis. It only took a few weeks for me to start picking apart my own list and critique my reasons for choosing certain films.

The main films in peril were the most recently released in Drive and Margin Call. The issue is that are they on the list because they are very good recent films that are stuck in my mind? Is it because they look even better against most of the predictable dirge served up by Hollywood these days? Looking back now with both films having been out for well over 18 months I'd say I'm happy with both being included. Drive is easily one of the slickest and aesthetically pleasing films I've ever seen (and I've seen it 5 times in the last 18months or so). Whilst Margin Call was clever, depressingly realistic and sharply scripted that it felt like a film for our time whilst we all suffer and endlessly hear about the recession.


The two films that may fall close to being axed would be Alien and Vanishing Point. I had considered one of the David Lynch films but it just can't happen, axing one of those would be like choosing which of your children you'd like the least. Alien is a great tense sci-fi classic that set the standard for so many films afterwards whilst Vanishing Point is the ultimate road chase movie but are they both films I love that much to include still? Possibly not when considering the films I mentioned above that I missed out and others such as City of God which wasn't included because I only saw it for the first time this year.

The list from 10-6: http://therollingpicture.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/10-favourite-movies-of-all-time-part-1.html
The list from 5-1: http://therollingpicture.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/10-favourite-movies-of-all-time-part-2.html

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I'm with you on Lynch movies, but Drive....well, I just didn't think it was one of the all-time greats. It had it's exciting moments and anything that's retro can be fun, but also isn't that creative to me.

    ReplyDelete