Monday 19 November 2012

Film Review: Juno

Director: Jason Reitman

A comedy-drama about a teenage pregnancy that catches out the main character Juno (Ellen Page in the role that made her famous). The film won an Oscar for Best Screenplay and was even nominated for Best Picture in 2007 but was beaten by the Coen Brothers and No Country for Old Men.

Juno is a sixteen year old in high school when she becomes pregnant by her long time friend Paulie Bleeker (Michael Cera playing himself). The film then takes a fun twist on the serious issue of pregnancy and the difficult issues surrounding possible abortion or possibly giving birth to the baby then giving it up to a more suitable home. We continue to see the emotional strain the entire episode has on Juno as the film develops.

Juno MacGuff (Ellen Page)
Once again many believe I am dead inside for not liking this movie, something which people also said when I disliked Little Miss Sunshine. I think the main issue stems from the fact I didn't like the stylish trendy teenage dialogue which made the characters loveable and funny which just leaves it as a film about unplanned pregnancy. On that note it takes the issue of abortion too lightly which is supposed to be the drama half of the film and I found that to be very disappointing given the opportunity.

An issue I have discussed many times in film is the problem of expectations, a movie like this has become over-rated by many so by the time I saw it long after its run in the cinema I had very high expectations so I'm probably more critical than I should be. It does have a few funny moments but my lack of interest in the clichéd main characters meant I didn't feel anything for them during the more emotional moments.

1.5/4 disappointingly shallow film

No comments:

Post a Comment